Skip To Content

International Health Certifications

The client is responsible for many aspects of the International Health Certificate, the process that must be followed includes:

  • Contact the consulate of the country you intend to travel to inform that country of your intention to travel with your pet. Obtain any further instructions or requirements that may not be listed on the USDA website
  • Contact the airline or shipping company you intend to use to obtain specific shipping instructions and coordinate the documentation you will need in possession for the animal to travel
  • It is also advisable that you find out from the carrier what the minimum number of days the health certificate is valid (please note airlines have their own requirements), generally this will be between 7-10 days
  • If the country you plan to travel to requires a Rabies Titer (i.e. Japan, England, Australia, St. Kitts, Hawaii USA), the testing should be done a minimum of 6 months prior to travel.  NOTE: The microchip must be done prior to the rabies vaccine and before the titer
  • The day of the actual health certificate exam you must bring all documentation to the appointment.  To include but not limited to original rabies vaccine certificate with actual “wet” doctor’s signature, specific health certificate from a foreign country that needs completion (i.e. Japan, Germany), address/telephone number where the animal will be staying in the country
  • You should know that depending upon the requirements of the country you intend to travel, the pet may need to have an ISO approved microchip implanted and a specific (as required and approved by the foreign country) tick and tapeworm treatment administered by the veterinarian prior to departure
  • Once your pet has been examined, the documents reviewed and signed by the veterinarian at the Hebron Animal Hospital and a USDA form 7001 initiated, these items then need to be mailed or physically transported to the USDA Office in Frankfort for the Official USDA veterinarian to sign and notarize the certificate making it official.  Please note, depending upon the foreign country’s requirements you may also request to review and officiate the documents before the pet can travel.
  • It is your responsibility to either courier the documents to the USDA via FedEx or UPS for review and signature or makes an appointment with the USDA office to have the documents reviewed and signed and returned to the client in person (we recommend appointment and hand delivery of documents)
  • You should expect to pay courier and handling charges
  • The Kentucky USDA office is the following:

105 Corporate Drive, Suite H
Frankfort, KY  40601

Back To Top